One of Herman Gundlach Sr.’s favorite projects was Northern Michigan University’s Kaye Hall. (4) Built in 1915 and housing the gymnasium, auditorium, library, administrative offices, and several classrooms; Kaye Hall quickly became the symbol of Northern and a focal point for student life. It was built of native Marquette sandstone with distinctive reddish and cream markings and the turreted “castle gothic” structures formed the heart of the institution. The building was destroyed in 1972. Photo courtesy of NMU Archives.